Thursday 22 November 2012

Shut up and...


Drive first caught my attention whilst I was watching the BAFTA’s earlier this year. Although it did not win the best film award for which it was nominated I was interested enough to borrow it from LoveFilm.
The opening sequence was captivating and I felt that excited thrill of watching what I feel is a truly great film. The combination of point of view shots from in the car, the retro electric theme music and the stylish city establishing shots reminded me of playing GTA: Vice City. The music is some of my favourite of any film I’ve watched and is used effectively capturing the tone of a scene. I was never particularly attracted to Ryan Gosling until I witnessed him in this role (and yes I realise there is an accidental theme of attractive actors in these posts- see Logan Lerman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt below) but wow. Gosling plays the unnamed anti-hero of the film, who uses little words but each he says you can see him choose carefully. You can see the control in Gosling’s performance and the power that gives his character. Through the film we see the diver’s life grow more complicated as he lets new people into his life. This causes him to break the rules he has set helping those that he cares for.
Drive is in one word stylish. The lighting, music, camera shots, lines, costume everything, is purposeful and refined. Whether or not you will like this film will come down to preference. Drive isn’t a romantic comedy, it is about consequences and the effects of certain actions. Meaning if you help out a guy tied to the mob and it goes wrong, the mob is gunna get mad.
But I love this film having bought the DVD after watching it so I could watch it again and again. It is definitely in the unorganised top ten favourite films list I have in my head hanging out with the likes of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy and Christopher Nolan’s Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment